GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK:
Performs professional basic to enhanced-level emergency and non-emergency care to inmates. Coordinates patient care through consultation with physician(s). Work is performed under general supervision of the Nursing Director and the licensed physician of the RSW Regional Jail
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Performing medical evaluations on inmates, which may include checking temperature, blood pressure, respiration, pulse, and vision. Respond to medical emergencies provide emergency care, triage inmates and dispense medications.
- Provides daily nursing, emergency medical care, and treatment to inmates, staff and visitors as needed;
- Triage and Referral of inmates to RN Nurse or Physician;
- Reviews medical history;
- Prepares and organizes daily tasks; maintain Medication Administration Record;
- Monitors inmates for behavioral and mental status changes;
- Maintains control of all medication and drugs on hand in accordance with policy and procedures;
- Administers medication to jail inmates: discusses inmate's condition with RN and Physician: sets-up, dispenses and charts medication;
- Assures that medical area is clean and properly stocked;
- Changes dressings and draws blood: obtains DNA samples; performs trach, wound and colostomy care;
- Sets up prescriptions and refills in accordance with physician orders;
- Provides instruction on general health and hygiene.
- Obtains medical records: enters medical data into computer; maintains medical records;
- Changes biohazard bags;
- Responds to emergencies;
- Responds to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, procedures and protocol;
- Performs all duties in accordance with RSW Policy and Procedures, Virginia Department of Corrections standards, PREA standards and all regulations as directed;
- Performs all duties in compliance with all Federal, State, and Local Laws.
- Maintain necessary records and prepare required reports;
- Maintain a cooperative relationship among health care teams within and outside of the facility along with RSW Regional Jail staff and other facilities.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the principles, standards, practices and techniques of the LPN Nursing field; general knowledge of pharmacology; ability to draw blood; ability to administer medications and apply therapeutic treatment as prescribed; general knowledge of the rules, regulations, procedures and polices pertaining to medical services of the detention facility; ability to accurately maintain patient medical records and prepare reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, physicians, associates and others contacted in the course of work. Ability to establish and maintain First Aid, CPR and AED certifications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school; Graduation from a recognized accredited school of nursing. Licensed or eligible for licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse by the Virginia Board of Nursing (or other states participating in the Nurse Licensure Compact).
This is medium to heavy work requiring the exertion of force including but not limited to: standing and walking for long periods of time; picking up and moving heavy objects; climbing stairs and ladders; balancing, stooping, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions; deployment of force equipment and use of physical force as needed. Effective vocal communication, hearing and vision is required. Regular exposure to pre-trial, and post-conviction inmates makes position susceptible to violent and unpredictable behavior.
For an RSW Regional Jail application, please visit: http://www.rswregionaljail.com/employment/application-for-employment.html.