The office of the Commissioner of the Revenue will complete your Virginia state income tax return at no charge. You must bring a completed copy of your federal return in order for the state return to be completed properly.
The office also audits all returns that come through the office to be forwarded to the Department of Taxation. This expedites the refund process as we also data entry the information directly into the computer system of the Department of Taxation.
To obtain State Tax Forms on-line, please visit go to the state web page: www.tax.virginia.gov.
Annual forms and schedules are available by clicking here.
Federal forms are available on-line at the IRS web page at www.irs.gov.
Where's My Refund?
If you file your State Income Tax Return on paper in 2009 or future years, it will take longer to issue your refund. Returns filed electronically (E-file) will be processed at least 50 percent quicker than those returns filed on paper. It is considerably more costly to process a paper return than a return filed electronically, and due to the state’s current budget situation, TAX will no longer be able to process paper returns as quickly as we have in prior years.
- Online Lookup -- Check your Individual income tax refund status using our online application.
- Phone Lookup -- (804) 367-2486. With a touch-tone phone, you can check the status of your refund 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Debt Collection -- Did you receive a partial refund? Learn about the Virginia Setoff Debt Collection Act and the U.S. Department of Treasury Offset Program (TOP).
- Unclaimed Property -- Did you not receive a past refund? To learn more about collecting unclaimed property, you can visit the Virginia Treasury's Unclaimed Property Program.
- Federal Income Tax Return Information -- visit the IRS web page at www.irs.gov.
New “Live Chat Services” give taxpayers fast online help from tax department. www.tax.virginia.gov
Click on Chat icon.
The individual shared responsibility provision requires you and each member of your family to have basic health insurance coverage (also known as minimum essential coverage), qualify for an exemption from the responsibility to have minimum essential coverage, or make an individual shared responsibility payment when you file your federal income tax return.
Helpful Information and Forms: